Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Water Wishes by Mallory Loehr

I found this book, along with its three sequels yesterday.  I had it when I was little, but I never got around to reading the series.  Better late than never.  Water Wishes is about three kids who find a bottle with a piece of parchment in it (I probably wouldn't be able to recognize parchment on sight, and these kids are all younger than me.  They don't recognize anything else beyond their scope on sight.  Their parents must be black market parchment dealers or something.)  The parchment gives them three wishes.  The middle child, Polly, wishes to be a mermaid and become a mermaid for the night.  You'll have to read it to find out what the others wish for.
The three kids are portrayed with a very accurate (at least to my eyes) level of intelligence.  They aren't miniature adults, but they don't all seem two years old, either.  They know about as much as a seven-year-old, ten-year-old, and thirteen-year-old would be expected to know.  Very few books have this quality.
Besides them knowing what parchment looks like, there weren't any of the glaringly obvious errors that plague most children's books.  I enjoyed it and if I had a younger sibling, I'd probably give it to them to read if I liked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment